Optometry Students Receive Dr. Pearle Scholarships
The OneSight Research Foundation has doubled its efforts to support optometrists of the future through the Dr. Stanley Pearle Scholarship Fund in 2010.
In past years, ten students were awarded scholarships to assist with their optometric education. This year, 20 deserving students will receive $2,000 to help fund their education beginning in fall 2010. The Scholarship Committee received twice as many applications this year and decided that the increase in applications should be matched with an increase in scholarships awarded.
“We are so pleased that there is a growing interest in the optometric community about our scholarship," said Dr. Mike Mendoza, Scholarship Committee Chairperson and Pearle Vision franchisee in Houston, Texas. “Given the level of passion, enthusiasm and intellect we saw in all of the applicants, the future of optometry looks very bright."
Since its inception in 2007, the fund has awarded a total of $100,000 in scholarships to 50 students. The scholarship is named after Dr. Stanley Pearle, founder of Pearle Vision.
Congratulations 2010 recipients:
- Keaton Cornish, Karen Lee, Marilyn Zuniga – Illinois College of Optometry
- Sunni Stewart, Anthony Vanalstine – Indiana University School of Optometry
- Nicole Gdowski, Courtney Moliterno – Michigan College of Optometry
- Kristin White – New England College of Optometry
- Emily Bruce – Northeastern State University
- Nathan Atterholt – Ohio State University
- Amanda Legge, Kara Shirley, Dana Webster – Salus University
- Janna Iyer – Southern College Optometry
- Quy Nguyen, Nikki Yee - State University of New York
- Gregory Wingren, Danielle Wong, Ester Yeh – University of California at Berkeley
- Natalie Crothers – University of Missouri at St. Louis